We regularly get asked for the cost of damp proofing over the phone, however it is impossible to quote for required works without first carrying out a survey and evaluation of the affected areas.
We visited a property 20 years ago, as the owner wanted a quote for a new chemical damp proof course. He had a quote for ~£2500 for damp proofing and wanted a comparison damp proofing quote. However it turned out that the damp problem was not rising damp/failure of the dpc as he had been told, but a fairly minor condensation problem which was resolved with better heating, re-positioning of some large furniture and a new extract fan in the kitchen.
Chemical injection damp proofing costs
When looking at the cost of a chemical injection damp proof course (DPC), you need to consider the following elements
- Survey and quotation
- Site set up and preparation
- Protective materials (corex, plastic sheeting)
- Removal of radiators and pipe work
- Isolation of electrical sockets
- Take off skirting boards and architraves
- Removal of plaster work to required height ~1200mm
- Inject chemical DPC
- Prepare wall for replastering, rake down joints
- Base coat replastering
- Skim Plastering
- Refit skirting boards, radiators and electrical items
Typical costs of chemical DPC works in South East Region of UK
Typical cost of items 3-7 are below
1-5m £500 – £1000
5-20m £1000 – £2500
20m+ £100 – 120/m2
Others costs involved in damp proofing
Above all, it is essential that you fully cost all items 1-8, as this will vary from site to site. Therefore make sure your quote includes the following;
- Cost of any and all preparation works, for examples make sure that this includes removal of radiators, skirting and sockets.
- Dust sheeting and floor protection.
- Increased thickness of plaster.
- Removal and disposal of waste.
- Works carried out by trained, qualified and CRB checked staff.
- Refitting of skirting boards and electrics.
These items are regularly omitted by some companies to reduce the quotation, only to be added on as the job progresses.
All works should be carried out by a technician that is fully trained in installation of chemical DPC and all health and safety aspects such as asbestos awareness and manual handling. Howevere they should have a construction skill certificate card (CSCS) and the company should have employer, third party, professional indemnity and contractor’s insurance.
Correct diagnosis before carrying out any remedial works
It is important that the source of dampness is correctly diagnosed, as in most cases if dampness a chemical damp proof course is not required.
Biocraft carries out specialist damp surveys of residential and commercial properties throughout Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, and Surrey. We cover Reading, Newbury, Maidenhead, Bracknell, Windsor, Ascot, Oxford, Basingstoke and surrounding areas.
For specialist damp survey or for advice on damp problems please call 0800 781 8358 or email [email protected]
Biocraft is a full member of the PCA (Property Care Association), FMB (Federation of Master Builders) and BWA (Basement Waterproofing Association). We are registered with Constructionline and CITB. We carry £10 million employer insurance, £5 million third party and professional indemnity and contractors all risk insurance.